Advocacy Policies 2020 – A better future for business in the Shire of Mundaring
Mundaring Chamber of Commerce supports local business through advocacy, promotion, training and association/ networking. We advocate on behalf of our business community to ensure local government policies support and encourage the business activity required by a vibrant, sustainable community.
At present, the Shire of Mundaring does not have an economic development plan or tourism strategy. We have no long term goals for developing or maintaining our local economy and no plans for how to get there. Instead, we have a Strategic Community Plan which is currently under review (see here), and which includes what some have referred to as ‘Motherhood Statements’ about how we want local business to flourish and residents to shop local, but no strategy on how this is going to be achieved.
We need a strategic economic development plan to achieve sustainable and measurable economic growth, as well as quality of place. We need a plan to provide a strategic framework for how Council can facilitate sustainable economic growth, foster greater investment and grow jobs in the Shire of Mundaring.
We need commitment from our Councillors for sustainable economic development in our Shire and to have a strategy which will enhance the well-being of our community, create employment and encourage the development of a vibrant and sustainable local economy, based on our key advantages, including our magnificent environment and the high level of skills and abilities of our residents and business people.
Taking the above into consideration, the Chamber’s advocacy policies for 2020 include:
- Economic Development Plan: we are seeking commitment from our councillors to sustainable economic development in the Shire, including a strategy which will enhance the well-being of our community, create employment and encourage the development of a vibrant and sustainable local economy.
- Tourism Strategy: based on our key advantages, including our magnificent environment and the high level of skills and abilities of our residents and business people.
- Business Liaison Officer: we would like a dedicated resource for our businesses, who can be a point of contact to assist local businesses in navigating the complexities of starting or developing a business in the Shire of Mundaring.
- Economic Development Officer: to assist in attracting new businesses, encouraging investment opportunities, increasing job opportunities, promoting leisure and tourism and identifying opportunities for sustainable growth and development.
- Dump point for caravans and overnight rest area: we claim to be an RV Friendly Town. Let’s support this claim up by offering a rest area for travellers, so they can stop here and enjoy the area, shop at local businesses and use the dump point.
If you would like to join the Chamber to give our business community a greater voice, please go to our Join Us page to find out more, or contact the Chamber President, Patrick Bertola on 0428 316 271 .